Just in time for Passover, Jersey City’s former matzo baking Manischewitz factory is finally meeting the demolition man.
The Jersey City facility closed in 2007 just after Passover, consolidating operations in Newark (and causing a Tam Tam shortage). The site was then sold to the Toll Brothers along with the former Provost Square development.
Toll Brothers wanted to build towers taller than allowed in the Powerhouse Arts District and eliminate many of the historic components of the site. A deal with the city was brokered where they could build three towers topping off at 38 stories, but would preserve the historic warehouse on the eastern end of the site. They would also construct a theater and public plaza.
Likely renderings of the rather uninspired towers are available at SLCE Architects, the firm responsible for many of the generic towers across Hudson County and New York City.
Above, the site from Morgan Street looking across towards Marin Blvd.
Above, looking across the site towards Stueben Street. Eventually the towers at 70 and 90 Columbus will be on the other side of the lot as well.
The 1932 warehouse on the property will be preserved as part of the new development project.
The old low rise component partly razed.
The factory when matzah was still made in downtown Jersey City.